Believe it or not, there's lots to do on the island of Ocean City, NJ on a rainy day. In fact, a little bit of "liquid sunshine" gives you an opportunity to explore - BEYOND the shore!
Scarborough Inn Bed & Breakfast guests can begin by checking with the staff for suggestions, information about special events or activities, and assistance with arrangements. There's also brochures and guidebooks in the Library, postings on the bulletin board in the Living Room, and complimentary wireless Internet to help provide inspiration and information.
Just to get you started, however, here's a list of 10 Things to Do in Ocean City on a Rainy Day:
1. Visit the Ocean City Community & Cultural Center (1735 Simpson Ave.) - This one convenient location houses several venues with a variety of exhibits, resources, and activities for all ages, including the:
Ocean City Historical Museum (399-1801) with displays depicting important local events, people, and objects - plus Special Exhibits.
Ocean City Arts Center (399-7628) - an independent, nonprofit organization offering monthly exhibits in a variety of styles and media.
Ocean City Public Library (399-2434 ext.5221) - a fabulous facility with a vast collection of magazines, books, movies, and audio books, plus activities and special events. You can browse for a day or for just $15.00 a year join the Library in order to enjoy the same privileges as Ocean City residents - some of which you can access from HOME!
2. Go swimming INDOORS at the Ocean City Aquatic & Fitness Center (1735 Simpson Avenue, 399-6900) - You will need a 1-day Guest Membership Pass and Scarborough Inn guests may be able to obtain one at the Front Desk; please inquire about availability.
3. Visit the Bayside Center (between 5th & 6th Streets on Bay Avenue) - This "...activities and educational facility is dedicated to environmental and cultural aspects of the bayfront." Enjoy exhibits about local waterfowl and sea creatures, the Beach Patrol, historic buildings (including the one that houses the Bayside Center), and ship models. Open 10am - 4pm seasonally.
4. Enjoy a Movie Matinee at one of the local theaters:
Strand 5 - (900 Boardwalk, 398-0006)
Moorlyn Stadium - (820 Boardwalk, 399-0006)
5. While you're on the Boardwalk, enjoy some other Indoor Amusements:
Congo Falls: "The Lost City" - (1132 Boardwalk, 398-1211) advertises that this particular miniature golf course is 100% Indoor and Air-Conditioned.
Gillian's Wonderland Pier - (600 Boardwalk, 399-7082) has a number of amusement rides under cover.
6. The Ocean City Music Pier is one popular venue for concerts and shows, including those for the Ocean City POPS. Check the POPS website for current events and to purchase tickets. The Stockton (College) Concert Series is another choice for a variety of musical or theatrical entertainment. (seasonal - some events take place at other locations)
7. The Ocean City Repertory Theater (399-PLAY or 7529) is a not-for-profit group that offers Camps & Classes for all ages, and an impressive schedule of "Theater for Young Audiences" plus "Main Stage Productions" throughout the year.
8. Create your own Treasure Hunt by traveling around Ocean City on the lookout for a growing collection of outdoor art installations including murals and sculptures. A "Treasure Map" in the guise of the Community Art Project brochure is available at the Scarborough Inn.
9. Ease your body and mind with a relaxing therapeutic massage at Compass Massage & Bodywork (803 East 8th. Street, 399-9136) just around the corner from the Scarborough Inn. ahhhhh
10. Don't forget the many delights of Downtown Ocean City! Shop "the Avenue" for art galleries, restaurants, souvenirs & collectibles, clothing, books and games, and so much more! This eclectic and pleasant shopping district is just a short stroll from the Scarborough Inn and includes:
Kay Jay's Doll Shoppe - 737 Asbury Ave. (399-5632) - dolls & accessories
Hoy's 5 & 10 (398-HOYS or 4697) - toys, board games, flip-flops, kitsch, & more
Sun Rose Words & Music - 756 Asbury Ave. (399-9190) - books, CDs, office supplies & SERVICE with a smile! They carry the Scarborough Inn cookbook Scarborough Seasons.
Glazed Over - 854 Asbury Ave. (398-8880) - Decorate-your-own ceramics make a great rainy day (or any day) project!
Rauhauser's Candies - 721 Asbury Ave. (399-1465) has been a favorite forever...with good reason.
Potomac Bead Company - 910 Asbury Ave. - Make-your-own jewelry is another fun rainy day activity.
Laura's Fudge Shop - 935 Asbury Ave. (399-0616) creamy & delicious fudge
Maybe one of the best ways to spend a rainy day is to relax and enjoy the many delights of the Scarborough Inn Bed & Breakfast. Hunker down with a favorite book in the Library or on the Front Porch, play a Board Game in the Sojourn Room, borrow a video to enjoy in your room, and remember to wander down to the Butler's Pantry for Afternoon Refreshments. Relax...refresh...renew - perfect!
[please note: dates, times, location, & availability of above is subject to change]